What property management laws do I need to know?
When managing properties, state and federal law compliance is vital. In order to properly manage your property with minimal to no lawsuits, you need to understand all the property management laws in order to comply with them. At Coakley Realty, we are experts on state and federal property management laws. We take care of our legal property management needs, including legal paperwork like lease agreements. Some property management laws include:
- First, consider laws regarding discrimination. Property managers must comply with fair housing laws for tenant selection and eviction.
- Property managers also have to abide by the law when it comes to the eviction process.
- Additionally, you might run into issues with tenant welfare, such as a tenant being injured on your property. A similar situation can arise with property damage. These are just two circumstances where a tenant could take a property manager to court.
- Property managers must pay attention to rent control ordinances, occupancy rules and health and safety codes.
- Finally, familiarize yourself with state laws for property management. Some states set security deposit limits and some have rules for a tenant’s right to sublet.
We understand that there are a lot of property management laws to worry about. That’s why we handle the legal aspects of property management for our clients. Find out if you should hire a property management company.