What should be included in a lease?
At Coakley Realty, our property management services include lease and rental agreement writing so that our clients don’t have to worry about omitting important information and requirements from their agreements.
One of the first things we consider for our clients is whether to offer a lease or a rental agreement. Generally, a lease agreement specifies a set time frame for which a tenant agrees to rent the property, such as six months or one year. A rental agreement doesn’t include a set time frame for residency and generally serves as a month-to-month agreement. Whether or not you choose to offer tenants a lease or rental agreement will depend on your budget and your area. Offering short-term rental agreements is more attractive to certain types of tenants, while requiring a longer-term lease ensures you have money coming in for a longer period of time.
Regardless of whether you offer a lease or a rental agreement, you should include at least the following lease terms:
- Names of all the tenants, the landlord and the address of the property – Every adult occupying the property needs to be included on the agreement.
- Time frame of the agreement – Is this a rental agreement or a lease? When does the tenant have to specify renewal or nonrenewal?
- Rent details – Include the amount, when it’s due, how it should be paid, late fees/charges for bounced checks
- Security deposit details – Include the amount of the security deposit and its return conditions.
- Restrictions – These can include restrictions on pets or illegal activity, and you can also mention rules for subletting.
- Who is responsible for repairs – Specify what maintenance tasks the tenant is responsible for (such as shoveling the sidewalks in the winter) and what the landlord is responsible for.
- When can the landlord access the rental – This should include in what situations the landlord can access the rental and how much notice he/she should provide the tenant.
- Termination terms – This could include what happens if the tenant fails to pay rent or violates any of terms of the lease or agreement.
Writing a lease or a rental agreement can be overwhelming. Hiring a property management company allows you to eliminate the stress of lease drafting. Find out if you should hire a property management company.
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
- Residential 22 Courthouse Sq, #509,
Rockville, MD 20850
Furnished, bright & sunny 2 bedroom 2 bath luxury condo. Great location in the Heart of Rockville! Minutes to restaurants, shops, Library, movie theater, Metro & Montg County Courthouse! Washer & Dryer in unit! Garage parking included! Secure building! Available now!VIEW LISTING
- Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING
- Lot 11013 Riverwood Dr,
Rockville, MD 20854
GORGEOUS 2+ acre lot in heart of Potomac. At the end of prestigious Riverwood Drive, this lot is on a cul de sac. Public water & sewer & gas available. Enjoy all that Potomac has to offer: Potomac Village features shops, restaurants, supermarkets, Starbucks and more! Outdoor enthusiasts will love Swains Lock & Great Falls Park. Country Clubs, equestrian facilities,& sought after schools nearby.VIEW LISTING