What Is the Total Cost of Home Ownership?
Many first-time homebuyers aren’t exactly sure what they can afford when it comes to purchasing a house. Understanding the mortgage can be simple enough, but what is the total cost of home ownership? At Coakley Realty, we’ve helped thousands of DC area residents become homeowners, and we fully understand the responsibility ahead of you.
Interested in buying a home in Maryland, DC, or Northern Virginia? Contact Coakley Realty today by calling 301-340-8700!
The Total Cost of Home Ownership
When it comes to owning a home, you have to calculate more than just the mortgage payment. Although the mortgage will constitute a large amount of what you’re paying each month, there are going to be other bills to take into account:
- Insurance – depending on the type of loan you get for your home (and the amount of money you put down as a down payment) you may be required to not only pay homeowner’s insurance, but also mortgage insurance.
- Property taxes – this is another expense that is rolled into the total cost of homeownership. Your property taxes will be assessed based on the value of your home, so the more expensive your home, the more you’ll have to pay in taxes.
- Utilities – many first-time homebuyers have experience budgeting for utilities; however, the price of heating and cooling a two-bedroom apartment is vastly different than heating and cooling an entire home.
- Appliances – most homes will come with the major kitchen appliances, but in some cases, you’ll be required to buy the washer and dryer or other necessary appliances. Make sure you know what you’re going to need before you buy.
- Maintenance – once you’re a homeowner, all the costs of maintaining your property fall on you. That means every repair, appliance replacement, etc. is all entirely your responsibility.
All of this doesn’t mean that buying a home is outside of your reach! It’s just important to factor these costs in when you’re determining what you can and can’t afford—just because you’re approved for a mortgage, doesn’t mean you should purchase a house at the top of your budget. One of our experienced real estate agents at Coakley Realty can help you determine what will fit in your budget, including the additional expenses.
Find Your Dream Home Today
If you’re in the MD, VA, or DC area and you’re ready to buy a home, call the experts at Coakley Realty. We can help you understand the total cost of home ownership and find a place that is perfect for your needs and budget. Contact us today!
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
Residential 223 W Montgomery Ave,
Rockville, MD 20850
This home, also known as the Old Episcopal Rectory, was built in 1875 with six additions to follow over the years. This six bedroom, two and one half bath home is privately situated on a premium 17,900 sf lot which also includes a two car garage and a Summer Kitchen.VIEW LISTING
Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING
Residential 1021 17th St NE #2,
Washington, DC 20002
SPECTACULAR! ! Brand new construction - 5 other units available. This luxury unit features 1 bedroom plus den, two full baths, gourmet kitchen with quartz counter tops, center island, gas cooking, GE appliances, keyless entry and more! Bay windows offer an abundance of natural light. Parking available for sale. Great city location, next to the US National Arboretum and the historic Langston Golf Course, this condo is close to the H Street Corridor. Photos are from Unit 4.VIEW LISTING