Should I Appeal My Real Estate Property Taxes?
Are you considering appealing your property taxes? You’re not alone. As a Maryland homeowner, you know that the second biggest expense—after your mortgage—is typically your property taxes. With 30 to 60 percent of taxable property being over-assessed, there’s a good chance you’re paying more than your fair share in property taxes! So, what are you going to do about that?
How to File a Property Tax Appeal
One of the easiest ways to lower your property tax is to show that your home is worth less than its assessed value. There are a few ways to go about evaluating the assessment:
- Read your assessment letter – When your assessment comes in the mail, it’ll list information about your property, such as lot size or a legal description, as well as the assessed value of your house and land. If something seems off—challenge it immediately! On average, you have about 30 days to refute something in the assessment.
- Check the data – Is all the information about your home correct? Is the number of bathrooms accurate? Number of fireplaces? How about the size of the lot? A small typo can make a big difference—imagine living on a 0.5 acre lot, but the assessment says 5.0 acres! If any facts are wrong, then you need to reevaluate your home’s worth.
- Find comparison properties – When it comes to your appeal, you’re going to need substantial evidence to back up your claim. Have a realtor find at least five comparable properties that have recently sold. This can help show how a home of your size and style is selling in the current market. With the help of websites or apps for sites like Realtor or Zillow, you can start the research yourself.
- Present your case – Once you’ve done your research, contact your local assessor’s office. You can fill out the assessor’s appeal form and send in the evidence you’ve compiled.
After that, it’s a waiting game. A reevaluation can take anywhere from one to four months. If the challenge isn’t successful, keep trying. Appealing your property tax is a great way to save money—but it isn’t always the easiest option.
How Coakley Realty Can Assist With Your Appeal
Challenging an assessor’s opinion takes expert training in areas such as appraisals, state and local mandates, approaches to value, and negotiations, as well as understanding the assessment office’s techniques. At Coakley Realty, we have been performing real estate tax appeals for more than 23 years, and we have the expertise and resources to help save you money on your real estate taxes in 2014.
Before filing any real estate tax appeals, we will provide a free consultation—all you need to provide is a copy of your real estate assessment notice or tax bill. We believe in accurately reviewing tax assessments before deciding whether or not a case is worthy of an appeal. When your real estate assessment is appealed successfully, it can mean minimizing operating costs and increasing the cash flow and value.
Request Your FREE Consultation Today in MD, VA, & DC
You shouldn’t have to pay more than your fair share in real estate taxes—find out how the experts at Coakley Realty can help. The highly experienced real estate professionals on our team can review your real estate tax assessments and give educated and knowledgeable recommendations based on your situation as to whether or not a real estate tax appeal would be the right choice for you.
If you suspect your real estate tax assessment is higher than it should be or that it is incorrect, contact Coakley Realty today! We can provide a free consultation and help you save money!
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
- Residential 9476 Newbridge Dr,
Potomac, MD 20854
ENTERTAINER'S DELIGHT! Stunning 2 acre lot located in sought after Falconhurst. Spectacular, private yard features newly renovated pool, pool house w/ FB, tennis courts & beautiful sun filled patio. Enjoy the spacious kitchen, formal living & dining rooms,1st floor office, fin bsmt, storage & 3 car garage. Two story family room features over sized windows & offers scenic views of the backyard.VIEW LISTING
- Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING
- Lot 11013 Riverwood Dr,
Rockville, MD 20854
GORGEOUS 2+ acre lot in heart of Potomac. At the end of prestigious Riverwood Drive, this lot is on a cul de sac. Public water & sewer & gas available. Enjoy all that Potomac has to offer: Potomac Village features shops, restaurants, supermarkets, Starbucks and more! Outdoor enthusiasts will love Swains Lock & Great Falls Park. Country Clubs, equestrian facilities,& sought after schools nearby.VIEW LISTING