3 Ways to Make Your Rental Property More Energy Efficient
Everyone wants to make their rental properties more energy efficient. After all, this increases the value of the building and makes tenants more eager to apply. You may even be able to increase your rental rate by making the right improvements. However, the trick is knowing which quick and easy upgrades are the most effective.
Coakley Realty can help to improve your rental property’s energy efficiency and comfort levels. Then, we can help you set a fair rental rate to attract tenants and maximize your investment.
To learn how to make your rental property more energy efficient, contact Coakley Realty online or call 301-637-0966 to speak with one of our experienced realtors in the DC, MD, and VA areas!
Improve Heating & Cooling Efficiency
The most substantial utility bills your tenant pays are for heating and cooling. You can help to improve energy efficiency to keep these costs down by following some of the following tips:
- Seal leaky windows and doors to keep drafts out. Use caulk for stationary joints and weather stripping for operable joints.
- If the property has single-pane windows, replace them with double-pane versions.
- Install gaskets in outlets and light switches located on exterior walls.
- Add insulation to the attic to keep heated and cooled air inside.
- Install a programmable thermostat that your tenants can use to program energy-saving setback periods while away or sleeping.
- Plant shrubs a few feet from the property’s foundation to serve as windbreakers.
- Replace the furnace filter every one to three months as a courtesy to your tenant.
- Schedule preventative maintenance for the furnace and air conditioner once a year as a courtesy to your tenant.
Improve Lighting & Electrical Efficiency
After heating and cooling, lighting and other electrical devices are the next highest utility cost for most renters. Help your tenants save energy by making these improvements to your property:
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with more efficient and longer lasting CFLs or LEDs.
- Put outdoor lights on automatic timers.
- Install skylights to allow more natural light to enter.
- Install high-efficiency appliances in the kitchen and laundry room to decrease energy consumption.
Improve Water & Water Heating Efficiency
Water and water heating are also substantial monthly utility costs. With these suggestions to make your rental property more energy efficient, your tenants will save money each month:
- Put in aerated showerheads and faucets.
- Install low-flow toilets.
- Insulate the water heater storage tank or install a high-efficiency tankless water heater.
Rental Property Services in MD, DC & VA
Whether you need help upgrading your rental property during a vacancy period, or you want assistance keeping up with building maintenance efforts to improve efficiency—Coakley Realty can help. We offer residential property management services that include keeping your property in top condition to make it competitive with other rentals in the region.
Let Coakley Realty eliminate the headache of owning and managing a rental property in MD, DC, or VA. Contact us online or call us at 301-637-0966 to talk with a property manager about ways to make your rental property more energy efficient today!
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
Residential 9476 Newbridge Dr,
Potomac, MD 20854
ENTERTAINER'S DELIGHT! Stunning 2 acre lot located in sought after Falconhurst. Spectacular, private yard features newly renovated pool, pool house w/ FB, tennis courts & beautiful sun filled patio. Enjoy the spacious kitchen, formal living & dining rooms,1st floor office, fin bsmt, storage & 3 car garage. Two story family room features over sized windows & offers scenic views of the backyard.VIEW LISTING
Lot 11013 Riverwood Dr,
Rockville, MD 20854
GORGEOUS 2+ acre lot in heart of Potomac. At the end of prestigious Riverwood Drive, this lot is on a cul de sac. Public water & sewer & gas available. Enjoy all that Potomac has to offer: Potomac Village features shops, restaurants, supermarkets, Starbucks and more! Outdoor enthusiasts will love Swains Lock & Great Falls Park. Country Clubs, equestrian facilities,& sought after schools nearby.VIEW LISTING
Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING