Real Estate Property Appraisals in Washington, DC, Maryland & Virginia
Home Appraisals in Washington, DC & the Surrounding Areas
There are many reasons why people need real estate appraisals—from getting a mortgage loan to pricing their home for sale—and no matter the reason, you want to be sure you’re having your appraisal done by an experienced professional. At Coakley Realty, we’ve been assisting sellers and buyers with all their appraisal needs since 1989, and we can help you determine the value of your property. If you’re looking for a home appraisal in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia, look no further than our team.
To learn more about our home appraisals in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia, contact Coakley Realty online or call us at 301-340-8700 today!
Reasons for a Home Appraisal in DC, MD, or VA
There are many reasons why you might need to schedule a real estate appraisal, including:
- Selling your home – When selling your Virginia, Maryland, or Washington, DC area home, an appraisal of the property’s value is an important step in coming up with a listing price. Your real estate agent will look at the price of the neighboring properties that have sold within the past few years (usually one or two years) and that are similar to your home in terms of size, features, and condition. Based on these comparable homes, the real estate agent will add or subtract value to your home.
- Buying a home – If you’ve recently made an offer on a new home, your lender will require you to have a professional appraisal done. This ensures the lender that the property is worth the amount of money that is being loaned.
- Refinancing – Similar to buying a home, the lender will require you to have a professional appraisal done when refinancing your Maryland, Virginia, or DC area home to ensure that the collateral value offered by the property justifies the refinanced loan amount you are asking.
- Applying for a home equity loan – If you are trying to get a home equity loan and it has been several years since the property’s last appraisal, it is a good idea to have the property appraised, especially if property values in your area have increased. Your equity in the home against which you would borrow money is determined primarily by the current value of the property. If the value of your home has decreased, then it is also possible that your equity in the home has decreased in value.
- Filing a real estate tax appeal – Property tax assessments are done every three years in Maryland and once a year in Virginia and Washington, DC. Upon receiving the assessment, you’re allowed to file a real estate tax appeal, which can affect your taxes for several years to come. A real estate appraisal will help determine whether or not the initial assessment of your home was under or overvalued and help you to file a real estate tax appeal.
Are you looking for a home appraiser in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Northern Virginia? Give us a call at 301-340-8700 today.
Property Appraisal Methods
When you’re applying for a mortgage, most—if not all—lenders will require you to hire an appraiser to determine the value of the home and property you want to purchase. Not only does this allow the lender to know how much the property is worth to set a loan amount, but it also lets you know if the home you are interested in buying is over or underpriced. For example, if the home you want to buy is listed at $400,000, but the home appraisal comes back at only $300,000, the property is probably grossly overpriced. Appraisals also help sellers list their properties accurately so they can be competitive in the market.
There are two primary appraisal methods when it comes to residential real estate:
- Sales Comparison Approach – This appraisal method involves comparing the home to a number of similar homes in the area that have sold recently called “comparables.” The appraiser will collect a variety of data on the comparables, including public records, sale prices, square footage, amenities, date of sale, and more, and place a value on the home and property. The basic idea behind this approach is that the buyer shouldn’t pay more for a property that is comparable in value to a substitute property with similar amenities and features.
- Cost Approach – This is an appraisal method that is more commonly used on new properties and evaluates the home based on its reproduction cost. It is a value based on how much the house would cost to rebuild if it were destroyed. Then, the land value and depreciation of any improvements are assessed and put into the home appraisal. This method is a very useful approach when appraising newer properties, but it is considerably less reliable for older homes.
For more information on our home appraisals in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia, contact us online now.
What If My Home’s Appraisal Comes Back Low?
If your appraisal comes back lower than you were hoping, the first thing you need to do is try to figure out what could have caused it. Sometimes, it’s a result of factors the seller can correct, such as home maintenance, repainting, and repairs. Often, once these issues are taken care of, the appraiser can revisit the property and adjust the appraisal based on the improvement of the home.
Of course, you may also order a second appraisal if you believe the first one was inaccurate due to the inexperience of the appraiser or other factors. It’s possible a second home appraisal could turn out a different value for the property; however, if this isn’t the case, the home purchase may be at a standstill unless the homeowner is willing to lower the price.
Give us a call at 301-340-8700 to schedule your home appraisal in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia!
Schedule Home Appraisal in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia with Coakley Realty
For over two decades, homeowners and potential buyers have trusted Coakley Realty for home appraisals in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Our experienced staff can make your home appraisal process quick, easy, and convenient so you can get into your new home sooner. Our fully trained and experienced appraisers can help you determine the value of the property accurately.
If you’re searching for a trusted real estate company to help you with your property appraisal needs, look no further. The expert appraisers at Coakley Realty are dedicated to giving you the quality property appraisal you deserve. No matter your property appraisal and real estate needs in Silver Spring, contact Coakley Realty for reliable appraisal services today!
Find a home appraiser in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia today by contacting Coakley Realty online or by phone at 301-340-8700!
Your Trusted Real Estate Company Based in Rockville, MD
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced agents near you.
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
Residential 223 W Montgomery Ave,
Rockville, MD 20850
This home, also known as the Old Episcopal Rectory, was built in 1875 with six additions to follow over the years. This six bedroom, two and one half bath home is privately situated on a premium 17,900 sf lot which also includes a two car garage and a Summer Kitchen.VIEW LISTING
Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING