How To Defer Taxes Through 1031 Exchanges
Are you looking for assistance deferring your taxes through 1031 exchanges? Look no further than our team at Coakley Realty.
What Is a 1031 Exchange?
A 1031 exchange, also known as a like-kind exchange, delayed exchange, or starker exchange, is a tax-deferment strategy many investors are not familiar with. The 1031 exchange comes from Section 1031 in the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, which allows you to defer paying capital gains taxes when you sell an investment property by reinvesting the proceeds into a like-kind property, or properties, of equal or greater value during a specific time frame.
A “like-kind” property refers to assets that are considered to be the same type of property but don’t need to be of the same quality to qualify. Not all 1031 exchanges require you to sell your property before you purchase a replacement property. A “reverse exchange” allows you to purchase a replacement property before the sale of your relinquished property.
Our real estate agents can help you buy or sell property in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC.
Contact us online or call 301-340-8700 today.
Tax Considerations & Implications of a 1031 Exchange
Tax considerations are an essential factor when buying or selling commercial property. Fortunately, flexible investment tools such as 1031 exchanges help you avoid some of the most burdensome tax impacts of owning commercial property.
While capital gains tax can’t be avoided entirely, a 1031 exchange can be a powerful wealth-building tool that preserves opportunities for property investors. A 1031 exchange should be included as part of any discussion where your property qualifies for such tax treatment.
The benefits of a 1031 exchange are relatively simple to understand, but the rules are complicated and subject to change. There are deadlines and limits to meet and multiple tax forms to file. Failure to follow 1031 exchange rules can trigger significant tax penalties, including being held liable for paying the taxes you hoped to defer, plus interest and fines. More serious 1031 violations, such as fraudulent backdating, often lead to more significant costs and stiff penalties.
In addition to tax advantages, a 1031 exchange offers other benefits such as business strategy protection, leverage into new properties, diversification, and optimizing cash flow. If you’re considering a 1031 exchange strategy, it’s vital to understand how they work and learn if your property or properties qualify for such a remedy.
It can be challenging for experienced and inexperienced investors alike to keep up with the various rules and guidelines of a 1031 exchange. If you want to perform successful 1031 exchanges for one or more properties, a smart move is to trust the expertise of professionals who understand them.
Our team will gladly answer any questions you have about a 1031 exchange and whether it’s the right strategy for you.
Want to learn more about 1031 exchanges? Contact Coakley Realty or call 301-340-8700 to learn how we can help.
Why Choose To Do a 1031 Exchange?
A 1031 exchange offers many advantages, including:
- You can defer payments of depreciation recapture and/or capital gains taxes.
- The value of the property may endure maximum appreciation.
- The property can be fully depreciated.
- The property can have leverage and increased cash flow.
- You can be free of managing multiple properties through consolidation.
Coakley Realty Can Help You With Your 1031 Exchange
Whether you already have your property under contract and are looking for an exchange property, or you’re just starting the 1031 exchange process — Coakley Realty can help you every step of the way.
Along with the ability to list your property for sale, Coakley Realty can identify many properties that could be suitable for an exchange. Our knowledge of the market and our in-depth databases will give you an advantage.
Coakley Realty can:
- Discuss your objectives to sell your current investment property that will be part of the exchange.
- List your investment property for sale.
- Identify properties for your exchange and represent you in a purchase.
- Preserve your right for a 1031 exchange in all necessary contracts.
- Connect you with a qualified intermediary (QI), a person or company that agrees to hold the funds from your relinquished property and transfer those funds to the seller of the replacement property you choose to purchase.
- Advise you on all deadlines to meet your tax-deferred exchange objectives.
Contact us or call 301-340-8700 to learn how we can help you through every step of the 1031 exchange process.
Things To Remember About a 1031 Exchange
- The taxpayer name must remain the same.
- You must follow the 180-day timeline once you relinquish your investment property.
- You must use a qualified intermediary.
- You must choose one of the three guidelines for the 45-day identification period:
- Identify up to three properties of any value with the intent to acquire at least one.
- Identify more than three properties with a combined value that doesn’t exceed 200% of the relinquished property’s market value.
- Identify more than three properties with a combined value that exceeds 200% of the relinquished property, knowing 95% of the combined market value of all properties identified must be acquired.
Contact Coakley Realty for More Information
Our experienced and knowledgeable agents are here to help you appraise your property, understand tax appeals, and navigate commercial sales and leasing.
Call 301-340-8700 or contact us online for more information about a 1031 exchange.
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
Under ContractFlex (Condo)100 Executive Drive,
PRICE REDUCED!!! Reliable investment property, fully leased. Excellent location right off 606, adjacent to Dulles Airport. This flex/office condo is Unit #2, and is divided into two units, each just under 5,000 SF. The First floor is built out as office/warehouse, and the Second floor is office.VIEW LISTING
Residential 20700 Ashburn Station Pl,
Ashburn, VA 20147
Beautifully renovated and meticulously maintained, this fabulous brick colonial is located in one of historic Ashburn's most desirable neighborhoods and sought-after school pyramids - Cedar Lane/Trailside/Stone Bridge! Gracefully sited on a premium corner lot (nearly half an acre), this property showcases all the distinctive details you are looking for.VIEW LISTING