Deferring Taxes Through 1031 Exchanges
Are you looking for assistance deferring your taxes through 1031 exchanges? Look no further than our team at Coakley Realty.
What Is a 1031 Exchange?
A 1031 exchange, also known as a like-kind exchange, a delayed exchange, or a starker exchange, is a tax-deferment strategy that many investors are not familiar with. 1031 exchange comes from Section 1031 in the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, which allows you to defer paying capital gains taxes when you sell an investment property by reinvesting the proceeds into a like-kind property, or properties, of equal or greater value during a specific timeframe. A “like-kind” property refers to assets that are considered to be the same type of property but do not need to be of the same quality to qualify. Not all 1031 exchanges require you to sell your property before you purchase a replacement property. A “reverse exchange” allows you to purchase a replacement property before the sale of your relinquished property.
Why Choose to Do a 1031 Exchange
A 1031 exchange offers many advantages, including:
- You can defer payments of depreciation recapture and/or capital gains taxes.
- The value of the property may endure maximum appreciation.
- The property can be fully depreciated.
- The property can have leverage and increased cash flow.
- You can be free of managing multiple properties through consolidation.
How Can Coakley Realty Help You With Your 1031 Exchange?
Whether you already have your property under contract and are looking for an exchange property, or you are just starting the 1031 exchange process—Coakley Realty can assist you every step of the way!
Along with the ability to list your property for sale, Coakley Realty can identify many properties that could be suitable for an exchange. Our knowledge of the market and our in-depth databases will give you an advantage!
Coakley Realty can:
- Discuss your objectives to sell your current investment property that will be part of the exchange.
- List your investment property for sale.
- Identify properties for your exchange and represent you in a purchase.
- Preserve your right for a 1031 exchange in all necessary contracts.
- Connect you with a qualified intermediary (QI), a person or company that agrees to hold the funds from your relinquished property and transfer those funds to the seller of the replacement property you choose to purchase.
- Advise you on all deadlines in order to meet your tax-deferred exchange objectives.
Things to Remember About a 1031 Exchange
The taxpayer name must remain the same.
- You must follow the 180-day timeline once you relinquish your investment property.
- You must use a qualified intermediary.
- You must choose one of the three guidelines for the 45-day identification period:
- Identify up to three properties of any value with the intent to acquire at least one.
- Identify more than three properties with a combined value that doesn’t exceed 200 percent of the relinquished property’s market value.
- Identify more than three properties with a combined value that exceeds 200 percent of the relinquished property, knowing 95 percent of the combined market value of all properties identified must be acquired.
Call Coakley Realty for More Information
For more information, please contact Coakley Realty by phone today at 301-340-8700 or contact us online.
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
Residential 223 W Montgomery Ave,
Rockville, MD 20850
This home, also known as the Old Episcopal Rectory, was built in 1875 with six additions to follow over the years. This six bedroom, two and one half bath home is privately situated on a premium 17,900 sf lot which also includes a two car garage and a Summer Kitchen.VIEW LISTING
Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING
Residential 1021 17th St NE #2,
Washington, DC 20002
SPECTACULAR! ! Brand new construction - 5 other units available. This luxury unit features 1 bedroom plus den, two full baths, gourmet kitchen with quartz counter tops, center island, gas cooking, GE appliances, keyless entry and more! Bay windows offer an abundance of natural light. Parking available for sale. Great city location, next to the US National Arboretum and the historic Langston Golf Course, this condo is close to the H Street Corridor. Photos are from Unit 4.VIEW LISTING