Real Estate Appraisals in Silver Spring, MD
If you live in Silver Spring, you may have been hoping to get a mortgage loan on one of the stunning homes in Forest Glen or Franklin Knolls. Perhaps you’ve been preparing to sell your Downtown Silver Spring home and want to price your house for sale. No matter the reason, the team at Coakley Realty has you covered! For over twenty years, our experts have been assisting sellers and buyers in the Silver Spring area with all their appraisal needs, big or small! We make the home buying and selling process easier for you by determining the value of your Maryland property efficiently and accurately.
If you’re ready to get a property appraisal in Silver Spring, Maryland, contact Coakley Realty online or call us today at 301-637-0966!
Reasons for a Real Estate Appraisal in Silver Spring
There are many reasons why you might need to schedule a real estate appraisal for your Silver Spring home, including:
- Selling Your Home– When selling your home, an appraisal of the property’s value is an important step in coming up with a listing price. Your real estate agent will look at the price of the neighboring properties that have sold within the past few years (usually one or two years) and that are similar to your home in terms of size, features, and condition. Based on these comparable homes, the real estate agent will add or subtract value to your home.
- Buying a Home– If you’ve recently made an offer on a new home, your lender will require you to have a professional appraisal done. This ensures the lender that the property is worth the amount of money that is being loaned.
- Refinancing – Similar to buying a home, the lender will require you to have a professional appraisal done when refinancing your Silver Spring home to ensure that the collateral value offered by the property justifies the refinanced loan amount you are asking.
- Applying for a Home Equity Loan– If you are trying to get a home equity loan, and it has been several years since the property’s last appraisal, it is a good idea to have the property appraised, especially if property values in your area have increased. Your equity in the home against which you would borrow money is determined primarily on the current value of the property. If the value of your home has decreased, then it is also possible that your equity in the home has decreased in value.
- Filing a Real Estate Tax Appeal– Property tax assessments are done once a year in Maryland. Upon receiving the assessment, you’re allowed to file a real estate tax appeal which can affect your taxes for several years to come. A real estate appraisal will help determine whether or not the initial assessment of your home was under or overvalued and help you to file a real estate tax appeal.
Property Appraisal Methods for Your Silver Spring Home
When you’re applying for a mortgage, most—if not all—lenders will require you to hire an appraiser to determine the value of the home and property you want to purchase. Not only does this allow the lender to know how much the property is worth to set a loan amount, but it also lets you know if the home you are interested in buying is over or underpriced. For example, if the home you want to buy is listed at $400,000, but the home appraisal comes back at only $300,000, the property is probably grossly overpriced. Appraisals also help sellers list their properties accurately so they can be competitive in the market.
There are two primary appraisal methods when it comes to residential real estate:
- Sales Comparison Approach– This appraisal method involves comparing the home to a number of similar homes in the area that have sold recently called “comparables” or “comps.” The appraiser will collect a variety of data on the comp homes, including public records, sale prices, square footage, amenities, date of sale, and more, and place a value on the home and property. The basic idea behind this approach is that the buyer shouldn’t pay more for a property that is comparable in value to a substitute property with similar amenities and features.
- Cost Approach– This is an appraisal method that is more commonly used on new properties and evaluates the home based on its reproduction cost. So, it is a value based on how much the house would cost to rebuild if it were destroyed. Then, the land value and depreciation of any improvements is assessed and put toward the home appraisal. This method is a very useful approach when appraising newer properties, but it is considerably less reliable for older homes.
What If Your Silver Spring Home’s Appraisal Comes Back Low?
If your appraisal comes back lower than you were hoping, the first thing you need to do is try to figure out what could have caused it. Sometimes, it’s a result of factors the seller can correct, such as home maintenance, repainting, and repairs. Often, once these issues are taken care of, the appraiser can revisit the property and adjust the appraisal based on the improvement of the home.
Of course, you may also order a second appraisal if you believe the first one was inaccurate due to the inexperience of the appraiser or other factors. It’s possible a second home appraisal could turn out a different value for the property; however, if this isn’t the case, the home purchase may be at a standstill unless the homeowner is willing to lower the price.
Schedule a Real Estate Appraisal in Silver Spring, Maryland
If you’re searching for a trusted real estate company to help you with your property appraisal needs, look no further. The expert appraisers at Coakley Realty are dedicated to giving you the quality property appraisal you deserve. For over two decades, we have aimed to make customers feel at ease during the home buying and selling process through our property appraisal services. No matter your property appraisal and real estate needs in Silver Spring, contact Coakley for reliable appraisal services today!
Are you ready to get a property appraisal for your Silver Spring home? Schedule your appointment by contacting Coakley Realty online or by phone at 301-637-0966!
FIND THE PROPERTY YOU NEED.PROPERTY SEARCH
CONTACT US TODAY
Featured Real Estate Listings
Flex (Condo)100 Executive Drive,
PRICE REDUCED!!! Reliable investment property, fully leased. Excellent location right off 606, adjacent to Dulles Airport. This flex/office condo is Unit #2, and is divided into two units, each just under 5,000 SF. The First floor is built out as office/warehouse, and the Second floor is office.VIEW LISTING
Residential 20700 Ashburn Station Pl,
Ashburn, VA 20147
Beautifully renovated and meticulously maintained, this fabulous brick colonial is located in one of historic Ashburn's most desirable neighborhoods and sought-after school pyramids - Cedar Lane/Trailside/Stone Bridge! Gracefully sited on a premium corner lot (nearly half an acre), this property showcases all the distinctive details you are looking for.VIEW LISTING
Residential 23400 Woodfield Rd,
Gaithersburg, MD 20882
Mitchell & Best Home on gorgeous 2+ acre lot in Watkins Preserve - a subdision offering 5 additional lots! 5,700 SF (3,934 fin above grade) incl. 4 bdrms, 3.5 baths, 2 car gar, & a full W/O bsmt. 1st fl features office, formal liv& dining rms, gourmet kitchen w/ cntr island, brkfast area & lg family rm w/ FP. Enjoy the gorgeous sunset views from the spacious deck!VIEW LISTING